All times are UTC-07:00

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:39 am

Post subject: Graphic FAQ - Read before posting -
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:53 pm 
Administrator

Anyone who is familiar with the original pre-alpha client will notice immediatly there are quite a few graphical/gump inacuracies. There is a very good reason behind this.

There are 2 types of gumps within Ultima Online:

1. Server-side, which constructs a packet with a gumps imageid's, alignment, text and actions. This is then sent to the client and built from there. These gumps are 100% customizable.

2. Client-side, a predetermined gump with assigned image id's and alignment and actions, these unfortunately are not very customizable. Some client-side gumps(or menus) can be fed text and actions from the server.

Im sure to most UO shard developers this is nothing new. We all have been forced to work around these factors.

There is quite a number of main gumps that are client side. For example: skills and paperdoll gumps are client side. Meaning you cannot alter what id's they use or its assigned text fields. (unless you reverse the client, mod it. which is illegal to redistribute)

From EA's rights and agreements:
Code:
Rights and Responsibilities. (d) Official Service. Ultima Online has been designed by Electronic Arts for play only on the Service. The Software is licensed to you for play on the Service only. Electronic Arts does not grant you a license to use the Software for any other purpose. You agree to play Ultima Online only on the Service and not through any other means. You further agree not to create or provide any other means through which Ultima Online may be played by others - for example, through server emulators. You may not reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the Software, including any proprietary communications protocol used by the Software. You acknowledge that you do not have the right to create, publish, distribute, create derivative works from or use any software programs, utilities, applications, emulators or tools derived from or created for Ultima Online unless specifically authorized in writing by Electronic Arts.
[/i]

In other words; Emulation is legal, reversing and decompiling the client is not. However, it doesnt really concern me and i could care less if anyone is modifying the client. My point is, i wont go as far as reversing the client to get around these client side restrictions here. ;)

Currently available workarounds:

* Intercepting certain packet queries to send custom gumps (as seen on EnigmaUO with the skills gump)
* Replacing the imageid's with another (leaving its unique id # the same of course)
* Modernizing a similar functioning gump, a great example of this is the paperdoll.

My point of this is so we dont get multiple threads about obvious graphical inacuracies.