All times are UTC-07:00

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 6:50 pm

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ] 
 Post subject: How does the Staff foresees Enigma's storyline?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:04 pm 

As of now, I do not feel like writing novels, but how far do you guys think the Enigma's scenario could go?

Since we only have Britain and its surroundings (which ins't bad IMO..refer to my first post where I described my thoughts about big UO map), what if Enigma's storyline could be something like that:

After Mondain's death, the Shard of Immortality was not destroyed, but it was broken into many pieces - shards. Each shard was a replica of Britannia (on the moment whenn Mondain was killed). On 'our' shard there were no British or Blackthorn (because they obviously stayed on another, 'original' Shard). Britain was free. There needed somebody in charge to control Britain - thus controlling whole Britannia, except few 'wild' lands. A lot of ambitious guilds, families and groups began their fight for dominance of Britain. They began to form Orgazations, Factions, Brotherhoods in order to get more power and eliminate their political opponents. Others, less ambitious, peaceful citizens were living their lives humbly, usually at risk of being robbed (since there was little law enforcement in the times of great danger and despair), working as serfs or occupying other Britannian professions. But during this time period, humble life was not good for living. Since there were no sctict laws, streets of Britain were full of looters, thieves, rogues and other people, who thought it was impossible to feed their families without entering the life of crime. Few very sucessfull citizens managed to take high political office (since it was now hard to keep Britannian monarchy, instead, there was a wide political hierarchy, where every office holder had cartain powers and privelges). But since then Britain was never safe. Some families, guilds managed to take over some parts of the city, thus having profit from collecting taxes from the citizens of the disctricts they controlled. Some times there was peace around Britain, but as it often happens, people are never satisfied with what they have and the war between these families is taking place from time to time. Until there is a strict government, Britain will never be safe...

I am asking about that, since Enigma's primary concept is questing. But what to do when quests are over? I think the above concept idea may be played for years, since you never know when will somebody try to take away your power, for instance.

Basically, a political addon, where people will be able to vote for each other thus gaining or losing political offices, such as the Chief Magistrate or a Bailif etc. From treasurer to the Major of Britain.

To make this system more fun and realistic, there could be permadeath. Some shards practised it, but we all know that permadeath is not suitable for UO, since it's basically a mindless slasher game. But with above political system it will make sense.

Crimes will become real. There will be court (headed by the Chief Magistrate, or the NPC, if a human player does not have current political office). Of course, he might be bribable, or blackmailed etc.

The system of control of buildings and areas. For example, West Britain is under control of this family, eastern Britain under others family etc.

The abbility to collect taxes from NPC's. And evade them :)

Basically..there could be a lot of stuff to implement. I just wanted to point out the idea, since it makes sence with our current map.

Post subject: Re: How does the Staff foresees Enigma's storyline?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:00 pm 
Administrator

While I feel the lore of the shard is very critical in setting its style and how its experienced. Your typical PKer loves to do what he does for one reason, overcoming struggle and obtaining advantage. To set a name for themself, climb to the top. The reward of outplaying your oppenet goes beyond their loot. Now your typical RPer enjoys a multi choice environment, his or her outcomes are based on their characters choice of how he/she makes it to be. Regardless of your style, it all comes down to accomplishment and value. Being able to affect the outcome of nearly everything yourself makes you feel important, and you really do become important.

When it comes to developing such systems in First Dawn we need to be patient, observe and study what this world needs. Not what has worked in other shards/eras.

A system i have thought of for years that id like to try here would be somewhat like the permadeath idea. However its more then that, you have things you can do while dead. Perhaps you chose to remain dead right away. Magical cults, hauntings etc. Travel through passages and landspaces inaccessible by the living. You got the world and its habitat while your alive, but you have another while dead.

The original Ultima's had a very thin line between populated areas such as towns or camps and anything outside of it. The sense of adventure was very strong, your findings were mysterious. I feel that First Dawn has followed this somewhat, your much more alert outside of town, you feel that vulnerability and danger around every corner. You become dependent on your choices rather then items or any other advantage. You cannot recall or evade everything with your mount and so many other things.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:44 pm 
Staff

I like the idea of some sort of a political system. I achually had it in mind when i made the families of Britain. Some of the NPCs are politicians. Petrus Hemgrave (sothwest britain), Miluz Clement (southeast britain).
Also i thought a mayor could live in the nice house by the library (an NPC or player mayor).
And that the leader of the Serpent Order (the main quest hub), Randulf Cohen could also be a politician.
Four powerful men from each corner of Britain, fighting for power, in the absence of a king.
Perhaps they can be overthrown? Perhaps they need assistance by players? I don't know yet. A lot of details needs to be ironed out.

As for the permadeath idea, i really like it! My mind is racing with ideas reading Karma's and Draconis' posts.

I've had similar ideas in the past. For example: you are dead, but you can posess humanoid NPCs. When you do this, you gain what they wear, their stats, their skills. If they die, you return to being a ghost.

Also, perhaps there is some way a ghost can return to life as a player once again? By reconciling his living crimes as a ghost. And be reborn with the same stats and skills but with a new name (to imitate reincarnation).

It would be cool to let the dead co-exist on the same map as the living, but in another plane. The dead can see the living running around, but they cannot interact with them. There could be certain npcs and mobs that only show to the dead.

Of course, the dead will have other priorities then the living. The living try to avoid death, the dead perhaps are trying to avoid life? Trying to avid being reincarnated?
There could be a "karma" system of sorts.
You are VERY dead |-------------|U start here|----------------| You are reborn.
And everything they do have consequences for themselves. Doing a bad deed set you back in the reincarnation queu, and doing a good deed boost you closer to reincarnation.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:19 am 
Staff

This is the back story i came up with, before i made the Serpent Order quest chain:

Many years ago, a man named Mondain killed his father and stole a magical gem from him. He began to experiment with the gem, raising the dead, breeding orcs, and corrupting the minds of the unwary.

In the year 17 A.B. a man entered Sosaria, from planet Earth, using a Serpent Medallion. He became known as Lord British, the man who brought peace to the war-torn Sosaria, and the founder of the city of Britain.

In the year 25 A.B Mondain's plot to overthrow Lord British reached its apex.
Lord British, with the help of his court scholars, learned how to use the Serpent Medallion to summon The Avatar, from planet Earth.
However ... the summoning didn’t go as planned. Instead of summoning The Avatar, the Serpent Medallion shattered in a burst of silver light.
When the light faded, the scholars found that Lord British had vanished.

In another place in space and time, you find a smooth silver shard on the asphalt curb. Believing it to be some sort of lucky charm, you keep it on you for the remainder of your life. Upon your death, something curious happens; your ‘lucky charm’ transport your spirit to Sosaria, to be reborn.

However, it's only a draft and not the official backstory. But it is what i buildt the Serpent Order questchain after. The serpent order is trying to remake the Sepent Medallion, and successfully bring the Avatar to Britannia. Since Mondain isn't destroyed yet, he is constantly wrecking hell throughout the land.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:05 am 

Well, its all up to you to decide guys. I just thought that with current map the domination of Britain scenario would be the best. The ability to buyout or rent the workshops in Britain (such as smiths shop, or tailoirs) and set up business there so as to have money for politics etc. IMO money making should be realisitc and economically based rather than PvM/craft grind. Have wars with your competitors. Stuff like that..

Last edited by Bad Karma on Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:09 am 

Also Draconis. In current UO, the typical PK'er is nothing but a griefer actually. There is no power or anythign you mentioned. I can ruin other players live, I can loot their house, but I do not dominate anything. UO PvP is senceless. However, if we add REAL consequences (permadeath, court, public executions, high fines, confiscation of property by the authorities) then there would be risk and violence will now make sense. YOu will either fight back for vengenace, or fight for dominance etc. Any player (not even a pk'er anymore, since with the wide system like that I wouldnt call it simply 'pking') would think twice before killing another player, or commiting another crime.

Last edited by Bad Karma on Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:11 am 

Btw guys, I suggest you try The Guild II. You can .torrent it. Or just watch youtube let's plays of this. Just to show you guys the more clearer vision of my idea.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:15 pm 

This is ultima online not THA GUILDIES TWE

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:36 am 

Quote:
This is ultima online not THA GUILDIES TWE

hey um..should I just hack ur skull dear? This thread is not for you gtfo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:47 pm 

Give the players a sandbox, and let them play.

In time, the lore will write itself

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]