All times are UTC-07:00

It is currently Mon May 27, 2024 11:05 am

Post subject: Slumon' Oubliette
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:16 am 
Administrator

Well we have all seen it there, that mysterious pathway outside the boundaries.

The prison system is a very tough decision. I have had it pretty much ready since late last year.
I haven't flipped the switch because im very concerned it will make or break the PvP/Risk here.

Currently the system works as such:

As of now, when a guard attacks you, he does so until your dead or is evaded.
With the prison system, when a guard catches up makes physical contact you will instead be temporary frozen and given some choices:
  • Resist(the guard will then fight you to the death, unless you get away.) You now become an Outlaw.
  • Pay a fine of X (X being your most recent crime scaled)
  • Give-in and be sent to Slumon' Oubliette.
A little more explanation:
When you resist you are able to move again and you will then continue your fight or flee from the guard as you normally would. However, if you manage to escape the guards you become an Outlaw. Being an Outlaw not only shows you as an Enemy to all other players, you will instantly be attacked by guards on sight (no options given). You also cannot buy from shopkeepers, rent or access your bank. Plans for "black-market" peddlers outside of town to sell limited goods to Outlaws. Once an Outlaw, you will not be able to remove it until you serve your time + a fine.

When paying your fine, the fine amount will be based on a series of things: How many murders have you committed in the past X amounts of hours? Do you have a bounty? Etc.. Once you pay the fine, your free to go. Perhaps certain crimes such as murder should not be payable.

Accept arrest and be transported to Slumon' Oubliette. This is were you really experience the prison system. In prison you have numerous ways to get out. Server your time, escape or work-off your debts in the prison courtyard. (mine rocks, chop trees, fill buckets etc.)

My main concern is that this could make a criminal life just not worth it. Players wont want to go criminal or commit murder if they will have to be confronted by a guard everytime. As we know the guards are quite fast and guard the only real exits out of town. Or perhaps, your chasing a criminal seeking Justice and instead of getting the kill/loot you cant, the guards take him over. Should players continue to be killable even while under temporary guard restraint?

Id really like to get any opinions and suggestions on the system and how it can be improved or if you think it shouldn't be used at all.

Normally, id release a new addition right away. However i feel such a big thing as this, should really be decided by the ones who will be facing it in their Journey.

Post subject: Re: Slumon' Oubliette
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:40 am 

I really like the idea of it all, because it adds even more originality and life to the shard. The only real problem I see, as you yourself have concerns about is
Quote:
your chasing a criminal seeking Justice and instead of getting the kill/loot you cant, the guards take him over. Should players continue to be killable even while under temporary guard restraint?
How about having guards attack criminals like it is currently only if they are or have engaged in combat with another player in the last 20 seconds. If they havent, then they continue with the new system of custody, jail, etc.

>Criminal is engaged in combat = Guard only chases and tries to kill.
>Criminal not engaged in combat = Guard tries to take criminal in custody.

The above is the only way I see this new system working without totally destroying pvp.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:46 am 

Well, im going to be honest with you, I dont like the whole premise of this. I like the guards the way they are. They try to kill you regardless of what you did, be it stealing from a player, or killing a blue npc, and I like that. I get that youd like to have more consequences of criminal actions, but I dont want to be an outlaw and not have any access to the the town, thats what being RED is for, right? I like stealing and killing, be it on npcs or players. If youd like players to value their lives, how about some sort of lose upon death, such as gold or stats/skills? I dont want players to be deterred from stealing and killing, but I also want a risk/reward system to make things interesting, but not this prison idea.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:02 pm 
Administrator

Things like this is why i didnt open it. Your right, and with a system like this you either have it or dont.

There needs to be a risk of becoming Outlaw but not losing too much where you cannot enjoy it.
PreUOR (if i remember right) you couldn't enter towns if you were Red. And always did guards attack you on sight and vendors would not sell to you.

I always believed in some sort of death penalty such as temporary stat loss.

This thread is really a time will tell type of deal, im not certain about opening the prison and even if i do it wont be for some time.

I hope this thread fills up with time and ultimately get a better idea of its impact.